In this video, we discuss the outcome and recommendations of the Aged Care Royal Commission.
Watch our 5-part series on the Aged Care Royal Commission, where we answer all of your questions and concerns. Find all the videos here.
There were 148 recommendations published, looking into key areas such as the Aged Care Act, funding, governance (administration) and quality, and safety.
Some important recommendations include:
- Replacing the Aged Care Act 1997 with a new rights-based act that centres the desires and needs of those requiring care rather than one driven by budgets
- Increasing funding through a possible levy to taxpayers
- An overhaul of how aged care would be governed to ensure standards are maintained
- Ensuring staff are correctly trained to work in the sector
- A star rating system for care providers
- Requirements mandating minimum staff time for registered nurses